Note: This posting is based on my weekly “Thank God It’s Monday” that helps you and your company thrive!
This week’s focus: business execution
How many business owners or department heads are bogged down with urgent, short-term issues while neglecting important, strategic issues? A show of hands, please.
If there is no operational framework for a business or department, leadership will be reactive to the problems and issues that arise. It makes the company people dependent rather than process dependent to not have the “this is how we do it here” all figured out.
Without an appropriate operational infrastructure, there will be ad hoc solutions for every project and with every team. That’s not the formula for great business execution.
For operational infrastructure to be valuable, it has to:
- be tailored, lean and highly responsive
- provide a clear message that “this is how we do this here”
- support the essential needs of the business without being overly burdening
- provide execution control to monitor progress and support collaboration within the team and externally with partners and customers
- be at an investment level that offers a solid return-on-investment
- add demonstrable value.
Taking action to ensure your operations infrastructure is adding value is key to thriving.
[Note: Read my entire Fast Company article here.]
Thought for the week:
“There are no right answers to wrong questions.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
What do you think? I welcome your blog comments!
Dave Gardner, Gardner & Associates Consulting
© 2013 Gardner & Associates Consulting All Rights Reserved
Note: To receive an email version of “Thank God It’s Monday” to start your week, please subscribe here. I would very much appreciate your suggesting to others that they subscribe.
Privacy Statement: Our subscriber lists are never rented, sold, or loaned to any other parties for any reason.